Shore Boards – 5 Key Differentiators
When you’re shopping for a new Stand Up Paddleboard (SUP), Wakesurf, or Longboard to add to your quiver you’ll most likely go through a mental checklist of the pros/cons. Each person’s checklist will be different, and will change with each stage of life you’re currently in.
I’ve thought about what separates Shore Boards from other boards on the market a LOT over the years as it’s the #1 topic of conversation at all the shows we attend. So, I thought being the entire country is essentially on lockdown it’s given me time to reflect on those differences. Key to note: All the differentiators referenced hold true on all 3 of Shore Board product lines (Stand Up Paddleboards, Wakesurfs, and Longboards). So, whether you’re carving the streets, shredding the wake, or enjoying a paddle session these brand truths are prevalent in every board we produce.
SHORE BOARDS 5 KEY DIFFERENTIATORS
1. SUSTAINABILITY – Shore Boards uses a beautiful, one-of-a-kind sustainable resource in the construction of all our boards. Yes, you guessed it.. WOOD!! We use Western Red Cedar, Basswood, & Paulownia for our Wakesurf/Paddleboards, and Walnut & Maple for our Longboards. There is absolutely NO foam in any of our boards!
We also use a plant-based epoxy resin for our finish stages. This is a much more durable, & lower VOC option in comparison to the Poly Resins you see used in most board building operations.
Throughout the build process we use most scrap towards other steps in the build. Making for extremely low amounts of waste in each build. For example, when we cut out our top & bottom panels we run into large sections of wood that would otherwise be discarded. Instead we plane them down & use them for our logo pieces we install in every board. This is just one example of many on how Shore Boards is limiting our waste.
2. TIMELESS DESIGN – Shore Boards incorporates sleek, and simple lines in each one of our 3 classic design options (North, Explorer, and our Vintage styles are consistent across all 3 board types).
Unlike EPS foam, each piece of wood we use has its own unique, one-of-a-kind qualities. It never gets old! However that teal & pink EPS Foam, or inflatable SUP (iSUP) you were drooling over 5 years ago may now seem a bit outdated.
3. DURABILITY – Shore Boards prides itself on each board to be built to last a lifetime. Whereas the EPS FOAM, and iSUPs boards have an average lifespan of 5-7 years. One other key point is if you were to structurally damage an EPS Foam/Inflatable board it will end up in a landfill because it doesn’t make economic sense to fix it. The wood boards are repairable leading to a much longer lifespan.
4. CUSTOMIZATION – This is HUGE!! Being most SUPs, Wakesurfs, and Longboards are built overseas you have no way to customize your board. It’s just the run of the mill.
Currently in the markets we serve, or the “sea of sameness” we like to call it, we stand out for offering up a product that gives the customer complete control over how the board will look. In fact, we’ve even had clients come to the shop to literally pick the pieces of wood to be used in their build. This is unheard of in the industry.
5. MADE IN THE USA – A VAST majority of SUPS, Wakesurfs, and Longboards are designed & manufactured overseas. Shore Boards is not! We design & construct every board from scratch right here in Anoka, MN. Shore Boards employs American craftsmen to accomplish this. Our processes are much more hands on, and with that, it does takes a little more time to build. The wait however, is SO worth it! You’ll have the comfort in knowing that your board was meticulously inspected each step of the way in order to bring you a piece of functional art that you’ll be able to cherish for generations to come.
The truth is.. Most boards on the market are manufactured in large factories overseas where the cost to produce is significantly lower. What ends up happening in these large factories is they have generic templates of the different board sizes, shapes, and overall general aesthetics. Once the board gets to the finishing stages of the build they install different brand logos & call it a day. Generic boards, with different names.
Now, there are some exceptions to this rule where you do see some USA based board companies that will design their own boards here on US soil, but they still have all their manufacturing processes done overseas.
There you have it! The 5 key differentiators of what sets Shore Boards apart from the sea of sameness.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact us via email at: [email protected], or by phone at 612-298-6019